|Job Description :
A Senior Software Engineer is responsible for being the technical lead on a Norvax product or key product component(s). This person is completely accountable for gathering requirements, designing and implementing the product/component, providing estimates, overseeing the development, and deploying and monitoring the application in production. This developer works closely with the department and product architects to make sure the product/component developments meet our business requirements, fit into our overall product line, and is a reliable and professional application.
Norvax offers a full benefits package, an open vacation policy, a very casual dress code and a fun, interactive working environment.
Please check out our Top Ten Lists to see if you would be a perfect fit for Norvax: http://norvax.com/reasons-for-norvax.html and http://norvax.com/reasons-not-norvax.html
- Creating designs for features and major enhancements
- Providing development estimates of the new features and enhancements
- Mentoring new developers for your product/component(s)
- Understanding the business needs and drivers for the product/component(s) you manage
- Performing as the "lead developer" on the product/component team(s)
- Enforcing departmental coding standards and best practices for your product/component(s)
- Performing thorough code reviews of all code
- Taking accountability for the performance and reliability of your product/component(s)
- Making sure that all code is well-written, well-documented, and well-tested
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering (any), or 5 years of Java development experience. Equivalent Foreign education and experience accepted
- Experience installing, configuring and tuning Java application servers; knowledge of Ergonomics, Garbage Collector and heap settings is a plus
- At least 1 year of experience running application servers in a production Linux environment
- Ability to work alone and in small teams
- Experience gathering requirements and performing basic project planning, and writing design documents
- Experience with the MySQL relational database
- Experience with Spring and Hibernate/JPA
- Experience writing unit tests with JUnit or TestNG
- Knowledge of Ruby, Scala or Python is a plus
What you'll do as a part of the Norvax Product Development Team…
- Practice Scrum and all its ceremonies (planning meetings, demos and retrospective meetings). Everyone is given an opportunity to be a Scrum Master.
- Stand to meet daily in front of our task boards. Yes, we use Post-It notes.
- Create, innovate and conduct "brown-bag" technical sessions.
- Everyone writes code — even our Architects.
- The code we write is at least 80 percent covered by JUnit test cases. Test cases are written for our business logic, DAO implementations and controllers.
Here's just a bit about the development tools you'll utilize:
- We use JDK 1.6, Hudson, PMD, CPD, CheckStyle, Subversion, Eclipse, CentOS, Apache Ivy, Apache Ant, Capistrano and MXJ.
- Our applications are powered by Spring, Hibernate and other Open Source frameworks.
Norvax, Inc. is a leading developer of Web-based sales and online insurance marketing tools for the health insurance industry, helping insurance brokers, agents and carriers connect with customers and transact business more efficiently. From insurance websites to insurance software and lead management tools, the Norvax product suite lets insurance agents increase sales, cut administrative time and reduce expenses.
Founded in 2001, Norvax was named among the top ten fastest-growing software companies in the U.S. in 2007 by Inc. Magazine. Norvax is privately held and headquartered in Chicago.
To apply to this position, please visit the following link: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=429230